Sources of data
Columns headed with an asterisk show ratios per MWp of solar generation capacity.
The data in each column is derived as follows:
- Locations show geographic area where the solar radiation data used in columns 2 and 3 has been selected. Other statistics (from column 4 below) apply to the relevant state or country
- Site area per MWp of capacity calculated based on the latitude of the site and the spacing required to minimise shading between arrays
- Annual output per MWp based on standard solar radiation figures from the EU, NREL and similar sources°
- Average carbon emissions of electricity
- Emissions saved / MWp based on published data from International Energy Agency and other sources°
- Average electricity price based on published data from International Energy Agency and other sources°
- Electricity value / MWp based on national and regional published data°
- Wiki-Solar Index; a synthesised calculation of the gross value per MWp per year, by combining the value of electricity with that of carbon savings at $155/tCO2
° There is a full list of data sources in the book
This analysis excludes the benefits that may accrue from incentive and support programs, such as those listed here.